How can we better attract + retain international students to graduation and beyond?
Dalhousie, Mackenzie college, Mount Allison, UdeMoncton, UNB (freddy) City of Moncton
- How can we attract\recruit good-quality academic students?
- How can we keep¡support the same students to graduation?
- How can we connect them with opportunities to stay beyond graduation?
Notes & Ideas
- Attraction + retention
- No provincial profile\consortium (NB) like EDU-NOVA .. too many schools ‘going it on their own’
- Challenge around calibrating Eng + Fr recruitment efforts
- Disconnect between university and college credit recognition
- Keeping intl students to graduation
- Student supports are essential (mandatory, for credit)
- For francophone students, building up eng proficiency
- Intl students feel like they need to be bilingual (FR\ENG) to stay
- Keeping intl Students beyond graduation
- Learning another language = a challenge
- Trying to qualify for post-graduate work permit
- Market Moncton\NB as an educ city\prov = branding
- Build a NB educ. Consortium (build an atlantic educ. consortium?!!)
- Invest in student supports (make them mandatory, for credit)
- To address Fr\Eng bilingual reg, collaborate between Fr and Eng Schools on language instruction.
- Open more IRCC offices across province
- Greater collaboration between PSEC and GOVT on study (2-4 year) + work (PGWP) opportunities .. make process more seamless.
- More (regular) meetings between PSEC + PETL + POP.Growth